1/10/16

My Best Advice

Self Portrait


I was recently asked to share my best advice to someone just getting started in photography.  I could write pages on this.  But if I have to condense it, this is it:


Learn to spot meter
Know yourself
Own all of who you are
Which takes courage
Which will make you a leader
Which will set you apart
Which will define your style
None of this requires permission.

Don't try to dress your life up
Be yourself
Study art, read books, have experiences
Love
Photography isn't everything
Thank goodness.

Grant dignity
Give freedom
Transmit voice
Listen
If it violates any of the above, don't press the shutter button
Ever.

Art isn't a competition
It's a collaboration
You are equal
You are equal
You are equal

Love,
Maryanne

2 comments:

  1. I love this and I'm not even a photographer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept interchanging art/life/photography when I was writing it because it IS very much the same.

      Delete