12/27/13

Hold Your Favorites Close

Harris Beach Brookings, OR
Harris Beach 2013

While sorting through my 2013 photos this morning I realized something.  I'm starting to keep favorites.  I'm starting to share favorites.  Not your favorites.  My favorites.

Don't get me wrong.  I love when an image evokes a reaction out of those around me.  It's exciting.  Dare I say magical?  It's so magical it's tempting to hit that button again and again.  Taking pictures for applause.  Which is not magical.  It's cheating.  It's boring.  It's chicken.  It's the result of listening to your logic and not your soul.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever paid attention to the the above picture.  Yet I realize how attached I've become.  It's home.  It's the driftwood that never dries out, the flat gray skies that turn eye sockets black with it's shadows until everyone becomes zombies from four straight months of rain.  It's the wind that never stops except for the the fog which never leaves.   It's the waves hitting the same rock over and over and over.    It's the beach that sits empty for months at a time.  It never fakes it's color or warms it's waters to please.  Unpopular? It's untamed, thunderous, mysterious, dark and lovely.

It's you are who you are and you know where you came from.  It's responding with your spirit and making every real moment a favorite moment.  Nothing more, nothing less.

2 comments:

  1. Very good advice :) You are as insightful as ever. Hope you and you loved ones had a lovely holiday season and a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We had an excellent Christmas and I can't wait for 2014.

      Delete