11/29/12

Thanksgiving on the Coast

We canceled our plans to go to the coast for Thanksgiving.  We had a sick kid, mites in our house causing all sorts of misery, weather issues, road issues, just issues.  But then we woke up restless the next morning and took it all back.  After a quick rush to pack the car we were on the road!  I'll post a few notes on the beautiful locations we visited.

This is a shot of  Six Rivers National Forest I took out the car window.  I wanted to pull the car over so many times as we passed the Bigfoot Museum, rainbows, misty mountains and all sorts of glory.

maryanne gobble photography

Harris Beach is affectionately called 'Mother Harris' by the body boarding clan I grew up around.  Hello Mother.  The island in the background is a protected bird sanctuary.  If you kayak over to peek at the Tufted Puffins you are sooo busted by park service.

maryanne gobble photography

The first time my husband kissed me we were on a bluff overlooking Lone Ranch Beach while laying in a field of daffodils.    Picking the daffodils is another park service no no.  I picked a bunch for a friend once and the newspaper did an article about the person who illegally picked.  My pal saved the article clipping right next to the flowers for the longest time.

maryanne gobble photography

Crab season was pushed back for this section of coast but the pots are stacked and ready.  If you ever move to the coast make sure you befriend fishermen.  It pays off. 
 
man portrait crab pots oregon zoom out

Another shot of Lone Ranch Beach.  It was several seconds long and a wave rushed at me.  So partway through the exposure I picked up and ran.  I sorta like the misty mistake.   The waves were rough during our stay.

maryanne gobble photography brookings, or

My mom bought my kiddo a toy pistol.  He played bandit while we tried to start a fire in this cave.  Our fire failed but we had fun.

maryanne gobble photography

This is a section of Damnation Trail in the Del Norte Redwoods.  It was raining but we trekked the first part anyways.  I double exposed this one with a panning shot. 

maryanne gobble photography

Whaleshead Beach in Brookings Oregon is always a beautiful spot.   The sand is full of real gold flecks.

maryanne gobble photography

I hid out in this tree from the rain on the Damnation Creek Trail hike.  During the photograph one spider on the web ate the other.

maryanne gobble photography

Eek!  It's a mouse.  Or something like that.  Gold Bluffs Beach self portrait.   We want to camp here someday.  Sometimes Roosevelt Elk can be seen on the beach.

maryanne gobble photography

And a family shot in Fern Canyon.  Part of Jurassic Park II was filmed here.  I found it impossible to photograph while everything was wet.   I would like to try again in early summer while camping the above beach.

maryanne gobble photography

2 comments: