8/24/12

Reverse Blur–Panning Effect on Waterfalls

It had never occurred to me I could freeze the waterfall and blur the scene until a happy accident this morning.   This could be improved with a little practice and luck.  By the time I discovered it, he was quite cold and ready to get out of the falls but let me take a few more.

These are 1/6 of a second, ISO 400 and my aperture was set to 7.1.  I handheld the camera and made a downward motion with the it at the rate I thought the water may be falling.

You can see they are imperfect, yet painterly and abstract.  I know abstract is not everyone's cup of tea...  I can't wait to try this out again and see if I can improve the sense of time, motion, and power.  Some of them turned out really funny in the way it warps the body.  I'm not sure I have permission to show the ones that resemble a pregnant primitive woman in a waterfall.  Boy was that a shock to see in my viewfinder!

Oh, one more note.  I'm almost positive by the time I took these he was standing in front of the falls and not in them.  It just looks like the water is touching his body.

fine art waterfall boulder creek redding, capainterly fine art nude male photographymaryanne gobble photography


Part of the How I took it Contest open for entries through November.

4 comments:

  1. I really love the effect this technique has on the water.
    It also makes the male model look a bit alien like...kinda creepy.
    Excellent work. Good luck with the "how I took it" contest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feedback! Ha, he does look a little alien. You should have seen the outtakes.

      Delete
  2. wonderful series; love the blurs and sense of play

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful series; love the blur and the sense of play

    ReplyDelete