7/21/12

Inspiration, Story Telling, Feeding the Lake

inspirationfog-net
Above images sources:  Jessican Stam by Solve Sundsbo, Freedom Child Kate Moss by Corinne Day, and The Fog's Net illustrations by Ruth Retch Gamper.

I get asked fairly often about inspiration and what sources I draw from.  This is a messy post with lots of links.  Welcome to my sketchbook.

First a quote from writer Madeleine L'Engle's book, Walking on Water that applies to all creatives.  Insert photographer for writer if you must.

"If the work comes to the artist and says, “Here I am, serve me,” then the job of the artist, great or small, is to serve. The amount of the artist’s talent is not what it is about." Jean Rhys said to an interviewer in the Paris Review, "Listen to me. All of writing is huge lake. There are great rivers that feed the lake, like Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky. And there are mere trickles, like Jen Rhys. All that matters is feeding the lake. I don’t matter. The lake matters. You must keep feeding the lake.”

So I pin, read, ponder, think thoughts both big and small then try to piece things together in imagery.   The Fog's Net book I found at a garage sale and it has become one of my favorites.  Lo and behold when I was back home this summer it was foggy.  The soft rumble of the fog horn lulled me to sleep every night, happy sigh...

The first couple images were rough.  My husband was puking but insisted on coming along with us to the beach.  Pretty sure I almost went blind from putting my head in the fire's smoke.  And guess who forgot the marshmallow's?

The latter images involved going off the beaten path to find a secluded beach.  A machete would have been useful.  Then realizing my 'net' was like 100 pounds as soon as it got wet and started to tear when I was dragging it.  Note to self, buy a real net.  But we did see a deer with her baby twins nursing on the beach and this was one of the few shoots I've done with no kids along!

In a world of unlimited resources, time and talent I would love to create a moving picture of this concept.  What concept?  Oh yes, I wore out and quit before the man entered this little story.  Not really a great project for self portraiture either.

I would have loved to put my husband in the net and drag him limp out of the ocean.  Then the concept of pumping ocean water out of his coughing mouth but it's black and thick like in Spoek Mathambo's Control video shot by the amazingly talented Pieter Hugo.  With a soft distant voice like in The Tree of Life speaking "There is nothing you can do to make me love you less" like in Rob Bell's Lump Nooma video.   Cropped in close with just the lower half of his face and chest with rhythmic heimlich like pumps from  frail arms reaching from behind and wrapped close as the dark ocean pours out over them  There is nothing you can do to make me love you less....   whispering... But it wouldn't stay black, it would turn clear and pure and light.  It would be a story of friendship in which our friends are never the enemy, the fog with it's sly dark net is.

"Once there was a village by the sea where, when the fog drifted in, thick and cold and grey, boats and people would disappear.  "The mist is hungry," the villagers would say."

Feed the lake, jump in the lake, swim in the lake.  Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, what do we do we swim, swim, swim.
 
dead-birdbeach-fire-oregonfog-net-feetbrookings-oregon-fogOregon-beach-fogfisherman-net-woman

1 comment:

  1. I love all the open space in the two in the middle. The open space, combined with the reflections, fog and the texture is perfect.

    ReplyDelete