3/14/12

Six Seconds

I've been fascinated with long exposures lately.  Especially self portraits.  I believe these are the first self portraits  I've done outside the house without a family member in tow since moving to California!  What a breath of fresh air.  There was a pause in the rain long just long enough for my photo outing.

Each of these photos are exposed for six seconds.  The drawback of being alone is I could not walk further than about 10 feet from my camera or the remote switch stopped working.  The lake pictures earlier this week involved my four year old bundled up and pressing a two second delay cable release every time I yelled, "GO!"

As such, I resorted to taking two horizontal photographs and stitching them together to gain more of the scene.  I'm pretty happy with the square look.  It also solves another problem I was having earlier this week.  While working to get some images licensed, all my horizontal shots were thrown out because they did not meet the minimum pixel height.   Equipment limitations, arrrgh!  It's a pain in the neck, but I can double my pixels if I stitch images together.  And if the light does not change between shots.  Sounds like a rickety plan.  Like MacGyver, yes!


Self Portrait Squared Whiskeytown Lake California Long ExposureCreative Self Portrait Long Exposure Photo Stitch Shadow Whiskeytown Lake

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful.I love your work Maryanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April! I'm going to miss this lake when we move from California someday.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating : ) Congratulations on being the I heart faces winner! So exciting. I LOVED your image the moment I first saw it. So fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was exited about I heart faces too! Was a great way to start my day. I think it made my whole week actually (:

      Delete
    2. I haven't been following I heart faces lately, so I missed seeing that you won! How exciting! And very nice that there was a prize for this one! :)

      Delete