1/4/12

The Feel of the Land

I wish that all of nature's magnificence, the emotion of the land, 
the living energy of place could be photographed.
- Annie Leibovitz

I didn't do any landscapes worth framing while on the coast last week.  But I did try to get to know smaller pieces of the land.  Sort of like family snapshots you keep because the way they make you feel.

Part of the reason I left early was the mournfulness of the ocean.  I just didn't feel like walking the shores.  There is talk of Japanese debris getting ready to wash ashore from last year's tsunami, a man was drug out to sea by the waves a few miles up the coast during my stay with his body yet to be recovered, and the water looked altogether untrustworthy.  My kids noticed also.  They thought the water looked different and cried when I was trying to photograph it because they were afraid I would fall in!

From top to bottom:
Harris Beach morning shore
Small tree and cloud reflection at Harris Beach
Driftwood
Coastal Forest in the rain
Rock patterns at the beach
Lone Ranch Beach after sunset
Morning sun and shore breaks at Harris Beach
Edge of the Smith River

IMG_5263IMG_5115IMG_5127IMG_5033IMG_5132IMG_4703IMG_5330IMG_5442

2 comments:

  1. Love all of these. Every last one. Wish I could go home more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I was hardly at the beach this last trip... I'll have to take you to the green forest above. It may be the easiest access of any locations we visit. A total hidden gem by a parking lot!

    ReplyDelete