12/14/11

Musical Sun

"Astronomers have recorded heavenly music bellowed out by the Sun's atmosphere. " space.com

Nuts right?  So now we have light we can't see and music we can't hear.  Coming off a ginormous star we watch pour over the horizon every morning.

My thoughts and art are deeply influenced by several factors in my childhood.  I went to a traditional church every week, my family is ultra musical with the exception of me,  I used to see a repetitive vision during the musical worship services.  Usually followed by someone's snarky comment about why I'm not singing.  "Shut up, I'm seeing!"  OK, I just wish I said that.  Whoa there!  Yea, I'm feeling brave after reading a book about Catholic mystics this week, those ladies were waaaay crazier than I!

Leading me to ask questions, lots and lots of questions.

Is music always the most proper way to worship God?
Or just the simplist?
What if you're mute?
What if you're deaf?
What if you feel something more complex then words?
What about synesthesia?

What if words are colors which are numbers which altogether make make something musical and or worshipful?  Or the other way around.

Leading me to hate the idea of small minded boxes and love the idea of the galaxy quite literally singing while all we see is a blazing ball of fire giving us some serious sunburn.  The sunburn part makes me laugh. 

Which draws me to Switchfoot's song (you can listen at the end of this post)...

Your love is a symphony
All around me
Running through me
Your love is a melody
Underneath me
Running to me


Or the prayer of St Patrick...

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.


In which makes everything seem so much more fluid, interconnected and spiritual.  Not so much material.

And if you have made it through this post and are still scratching your head, well so am I.   Because sometimes you don't have to understand to know exactly what it's all about.

IMG_3912



On a technical note, I realize he has a tree coming out of his head. I had two choices, decent emotion with a treehead or a perfectly composed picture with a crying kid.

1 comment: