11/28/11

Word.

I have been reading and listening to the words of  poet, Sarah Kay this morning. This past season I've have felt so connected to writers as I realize we all tell stories in some form or another. They have been an immense encouragement to my photography efforts.

I was reading Sarah's Hiroshima poem and highlighted a few lines...

My self-confidence can be measured out in teaspoons mixed into my poetry, and it still always tastes funny in my mouth.  But in Hiroshima, some people were wiped clean away, leaving only a wristwatch or a diary page. So no matter that I have inhibitions to fill all my pockets, I keep trying, hoping that one day I'll write a poem I can be proud to let sit in a museum exhibit as the only proof I existed...
...but I see the impossible every day. Impossible is trying to connect in this world, trying to hold onto others while things are blowing up around you, knowing that while you're speaking, they aren't just waiting for their turn to talk -- they hear you. They feel exactly what you feel at the same time that you feel it. It's what I strive for every time I open my mouth -- that impossible connection.

LOVE that last line.

I'm eyeing her book that comes out tomorrow on Amazon, B. by Sarah Kay

You can listen to both B. and Hiroshima below.  She also talks about telling a story only you can tell after she's finished with the first poem.  I don't care if you are a poet, a photographer, or a painter.  It rings true.

No comments:

Post a Comment